Number 25 High Street was Abingdon’s main post office for more than a century, until its closure in January 2009. The present-day High Street extends east-west from Market Place to The Square. The stretch by the post office (next to The Square) was long known as ‘The Narrows’. In 1883, most of the buildings here were destroyed by fire. The street was then widened. The post office was one of the new buildings erected in the early 1890s, with James Smith as the postmaster. The stone shop front was added in 1954.
Location 25 High St, Abingdon OX14 5AA